What does “Metabolism” mean anyways? Let’s define it:
The entire range of biochemical processes that occur within a living organism. Metabolism consists of 2 parts: Anabolism (that which builds substances) and Catabolism (that which breaks down substances). It is the process by which your body converts everything you eat & drink into energy.
So in simple terms your body must do something with everything you put in your body. Some scenarios may look like building muscle or increasing fat stores or tapping into fat stores and burn those stores as energy.
But if its only about the constant building and breaking down, where do things get complicated….in two words hormones & nutrition.
There are several major hormone players when it comes to our metabolism in respect to weight gain or weight loss resistance. Before going further let’s identify them:
- Insulin — your blood sugar regulating hormone
- Leptin — your satiation hormone
- Ghrelin — your hunger hormone
- Thyroid — one of your master hormones directing & controlling everything in the body.
- Estrogen – counters progesterone, begins to rise following your menses to support onset of ovulation.
- Progesterone – counters estrogen, when at its peak levels during the week leading up to your cycle it increases metabolic rate, appetite and body
Does any of this sound familiar:
- There seems to be a sudden change in your hunger cues…you are ravenously hungry or you have lost your appetite altogether,
- You can no longer sleep soundly through the night. Either you can’t fall asleep easily or you wake up around 2-3am, toss and turn, pray to get back to sleep.
- You have to drag yourself out of bed each morning dreading the start of the next day.
- Perhaps you have experience a creeping up of weight that simply won’t budge. No significant diet changes you can account for, still working out, but that damn abdominal fat just won’t relent!
- Maybe you are relentlessly irritable, it’s become extremely hard to see the positive side of things, when once you were full of life and energetic you are now down trodden on the cusp of helpless.
- Your confidence is in the toilet because your clothing doesn’t fit and you can’t get a handle on what is going on with your body no matter what you try…you are left powerless.
I promise you it doesn’t have to be this way….there is a way to break the cycle…and YOUR TIME IS NOW
Your body is constantly adapting and so you must adapt with it.
There are 3 Stages to Metabolic Breakdown
Hunger, Energy and Cravings go out of check or you hit a plateau
Nothing is changing and your Hunger, Energy and Cravings are out of control and even worse.
The stress response has been pushed over the edge leading to thyroid/adrenal issues, autoimmune disease, GI dysfunction
There are 4 ways to approach Metabolic Dysfunction:
Relax & Repair: Eat less, Exercise less – This is when you begin to repair the metabolic damage which is preventing you from reaching your goals.
Activate & Repair: Eat More, Exercise More – This is when you begin to offset metabolic compensation that has also been holding you back from reaching your goals and you begin to build muscle.
Diet & Damage: Eat Less, Exercise More – This is where the standard dieter lives often living off of willpower until your physiology & neurology simple can’t take it anymore. (**there is a time and place for this method)
Spectate & Expand: Eat More, Exercise Less – This is the standard weight gain protocol of a sedentary lifestyle i.e. wake up, eat, go to work, eat, work more, come home, eat, sit on couch, go to sleep. (**there is a time and place for this method)
What is Metabolic Damage?
Our bodies are fine-tuned instruments, containing a series of checks and balances (hormones) in the goal of supporting us through our daily lives.
As 21st century women, we have been pushed harder than ever to perform on all levels. Run that business, work that job, be a mom, a wife, a domestic goddess who can juggle everything at home, a tech genius navigating remote school, multiple calendars, a social life, stay fit & full of energy…always ready to go.
All of this within the same 24 hours that our female ancestors had to do just a few daily tasks. Just a mere 10,000 years ago women would walk 5-10 miles a day to gather food & water in community, cook, reproduce, take care of her kids and family. Today, we sit much of the day, moving from meeting to meeting, zoom call to zoom call, spending little time in community and working more and sleeping less than ever before.
Even though our schedules and responsibilities have multiplied tenfold from that of our ancestors our human bodies have not evolved nearly as fast. And so, coupled with the increased stress & overwhelm, subconscious and conscious past trauma, our modern way of living pushes our fined tuned instruments into warped, out of tune beings.
That warping is the equivalent of metabolic damage. This is when you begin to see signs like hypothyroidism, autoimmune disease and digestive dysfunction begin to rear its head and ultimately impact your everyday life.